Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Where to start?

Ok... now that we have all recovered from staring at tv and computer screens for the last couple of hours, and then reacting when the results were announced... I will give you a short little update of life in Leadville.

Well, the election has been a pretty big deal around here lately. About a month ago, there was a lady here helping people to register to vote. A lot of us are from out of state, and not everyone got an absentee ballot in time, but apparently they were still allowed to vote for the President in Colorado. Since then, we've had professors telling us to get out and vote, and fellow students who told us to get out to vote, some of them being a little more opinionated then others. Tonight, I opted for watching the election on the internet, but a lot of people were watching downstairs. When they announced the results, I could hear the screaming from the 1st floor loud and clear in my 2nd floor room. Apparently the news didn't travel through the ENTIRE dorm initially, because there is still the occasional scream. I just realized that tonight is $2 bowling night (as is every Tuesday). I kind of doubt that the bowling alley had too many college student customers, based on the volume of the initial scream from downstairs.


Ok... now onto less stressful issues. Last night the college sponsored an open gym. I was happy to see more girls there this week. Evidently my spreading the word to other girls helped. 2 rounds of volleyball were played- I was on the winning team once and the losing team the other time. A lot of people also played basketball and lifted weights.

Tomorrow is Heavy Equipment Ops. Afterwards, there is an OEC study sesh that I definately plan on attending for the sake of my grade. Then I'll probably do a little homework before eating dinner and going to free pool night.

Thursday I have OEC again, then tech math, and then PC Apps.

Friday is the opening day of Copper Mountain. I'm sure it'll be packed, but me and a few other students who have passes there are going to make an appearance anyway. I've heard that Keystone and Breck are also opening this weekend.


It is rumored that we are going to get up to 18 inches of snow sometime in the next couple of days. The teachers act like they hate it when it snows during class because no one pays attention, but I know that the vast majority of them love it because it means skiing, snowboarding, snow shoeing, and better snow making. Plus, there's just something magical about watching snow fall. Not to mention the rail sessions in back of the dorm and the snow ball fights that I'm sure will occur.

Hopefully it doesn't snow too much tonight because my roommate and a few other people are going camping. As much as they love snow, I'm not sure they'd appreciate waking up to a foot of it surrounding their tent.

And now that they're predicting so much snow, I'm definately going to speed up the winter boot and snow shovel buying quest. Why oh why didn't I bring them out here with me? Colorado definately does not have a shortage of snow, lol.

The college is doing a canned food drive next Wednesday. Open gym is also next Wednesday night and free pool night is next Thursday.

Thanksgiving break is coming up and students are allowed to stay in the dorms, but Wednesday breakfast through Sunday lunch, you're on your own. It sounds like the dorms are clearing out pretty well, but I'm sure there's a few people sticking around.

Registration for spring classes was previously starting in December, but now it's starting next Monday (the 10th). I'm likely taking a pretty light course load next semester because I took 20 credits this semester, and theres only so many classes offered to 1st year SAO students during the spring semester. I don't think I'll mind having a light load too much, after all, it means more time for snowboarding. :)

Now that the screaming has subsided for the most part, I'm going to venture downstairs to check my mail before going to sleep. Until next time, drive safe because it seems like I've been hearing about more and more car accidents lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment