Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Well, isn't life exciting

I would like to thank the 5 people who have voted in my poll so far. However, I think more than 5 people have probably visited my page in like the last 2 weeks.

Saturday I enjoyed 9 hours of sitting at Great Bear because nobody was taking snowboard lessons.


Sunday consisted of driving from Sioux Falls, SD to Leadville, CO. Word of warning: Do not wake up at 6:30 AM with a car that you have not yet packed and expect to get out of there in a timely fashion. By the time that I'd gotten dressed, packed my car, and eaten a Poptart for breakfast, it was 9AM. Then I had a VERY LONG drive through the middle of Nebraska. The drive between the CO border and Dever didn't seem much shorter.

Monday I went to Day 1 of my AASI Level 1 clinic. The day's focus was on instructing. It went well and I got a 96% on that day's quiz (you had to get a 76% or better to pass). For those who don't know what a Level 1 is, it's an instructor certification. Basically it's a way of saying that you have some clue as to how to instruct and as a result you generally make more money.

Tuesday was Day 2 of the AASI clinic. Day 2 is the Movement Analysis day. It was good, but the 1st day was more enjoyable. I got a 94% on that day's test. Then we had a sleepover at Marea's house.

Wednesday, was quite the day. Today was Day 3, the final day of the clinic. The final day is the riding day. However, due to an exciting morning, I did not make it to the clinic and will now have to make it up at another resort. I can't say I have too much to complain about though. I mean, it's a free lift ticket to spend a day riding at another resort. Ok, so on to the excitement. I woke up to approximately 2 deet of fresh snow and IT WAS STILL SNOWING!! It had not yet occurred to me, but Copper would have been miserable because, according to Connor, they had waist deep powder and powder and I do not get along. So, I got dressed, went outside, dusted off my Explorer, and managed to get turned around and headed out of the driveway. Simple enough right? Well, all of the wonderful new snow disguised the railroad ties that mark the edge of the driveway. I managed to straddle the railroad tie with my Explorer. While trying to get out, I slid into a tree which resulted in breaking my headlight & foglight and denting my hood. 3 hours later, after jacking my car up and putting rocks under the tire, I was back in motion. In the meantime, we had gotten chains on Erin's truck. Considering that I had never put tire chains on and Erin was wearing fake nails, it was quite the experience. Then Erin was off on her way, with Randi's keys in her pocket (Randi's car had to move so that Erin's truck could move). Once I was moving again, I drove up to the college, got Randi's keys, returned them to her, and went back to the college to unpack my stuff. Last night, two of the RA's, Jeremiah and Randi, made cookies for the new students (and the returning students that are cool enough to already be moved back into the dorms).

Today, Thursday, has been relatively boring. I got woken up by my auto insurance company calling. Then I made an appointment in Silverthorne to get an estimate on my Explorer tomorrow morning. After that, I went to the bookstore and didn't buy a single book (that's not nearly as exciting as it sounds... it just means that I have to go back some other day). Since then, I have finished unpacking all of my stuff.

Classes start Monday, January 12th. My Monday classes are Ropeway Operations lecture, Events Management, and Public Speaking. On Wednesdays, I have Trail Grooming Operations lecture and Ski Patrol Operations. I am also taking Food and Beverage Management online and am on the waitlist for Snowsports Promotions which is a 1-weekend class in Steamboat.

The first Student Government meeting of the semester is also on Monday. Student Government meets once a week (aka every Monday) for about 30 minutes. It would be great if more students joined, especially since there have to be a certain number of students at a meeting in order to vote on how to spend Student Government money (aka what you pay like $90/semester for).

No comments:

Post a Comment