Thursday, January 15, 2009

1 week down... 14 to go

Hello everyone. I am now done with my first week of classes (if you want to get technical, I was done at 3pm yesterday). That leaves 14 weeks (well, 15 if you count Spring Break) left of the school year.

Classes started on Monday. The classes that I had on Monday were Ropeway Operations lecture, Events Management, and Public Speaking.
In Ropeway Operations, we learned about the different types of ropeways (surface lifts and aerial lifts).
During lunch, I attended the first Student Government meeting of the semester where we decided to change meetings to Monday nights at dinner instead. After lunch, I went to Events Management.
In Events Management, we will spend the next 2 1/2 months planning the 4th Annual CMC rail jam which will be held March 22nd. In addition to attending classes, we are required to volunteer 20 hours with non-class events, such as an event at a ski area or a Nordic Club race. During class we discussed the different committees necessary in planning an event. We finally decided on 4 committees- Publicity, Finance/Risk Management, Operations, and Competition. We also learned about the 5 W's- What, Where, When, Why, and Who. As people excitedly started whispering to each other about what we should plan for the Rail Jam, Paul reminded us on more than one occasion that it was better to do a great, simple event than try to out-do ourselves with a more extravegant event.

Tuesday I didn't have any classes, so I did laundry.

Wednesday (yesterday) I had Trail Grooming lecture and Ski Patrol lecture.
During Trail Grooming lecture, we watched a "PhatCat" lecture which is an annual competition of the best groomers from around the country competing to see who is the best.
Paul told us about our final report during Ski Patrol lecture. In order to get an "A" it should be between 80 and 150 pages and we are doing it in groups of our choice, 2 or 3 students per group. The scenario is that we are setting up a brand new mountain (Paul gave us the basic stats for the mountain) and we are in charge of writing out the plan for the Ski Patrol budget.

Then, Wednesday night, during an extremely exciting evening, Marea and I went upstairs and learned how to tie "Wilderness Handcuffs" from some ORL kids. Once I got the rope pieces going the right way, my handcuffs started looking much better because then I could handcuff someone that had two arms, as opposed to someone that only had one arm, lol.

Today, Thursday, didn't provide much excitement.

No comments:

Post a Comment