Friday, October 17, 2008

Snow, boarding, and fun

As my roommate prepares to go home for the weekend, I thought I’d take a little time to update you on the occurrences of the past few days.
It snowed for the first time on Monday night. I woke up to about an inch of snow on the roof and a dusting on the parking lot when I got up for OEC at 7AM on Tuesday. It was melted by noon, but at least we know that winter is on its way now. In Outdoor Emergency Care lab we learned about spinal injuries, immobilization, and how to use a backboard. Everyone got a chance to wear a C-collar and be strapped to a backboard. We also practiced rolling people onto backboards and did a scenario on removing someone from a patch of trees.
Arapahoe Basin and Loveland ski area both opened on Wednesday. Everyone that has a Vail-resort pass is excited because they can go snowboarding and everyone that has a Copper Mountain pass is going crazy because Copper isn’t scheduled to open until the 7th and no one wants to pay $50 to go skiing early-season.
Wednesday afternoon I had my last Heavy Equipment Operations lab. It is probably a good thing that our lab is over, because we were really starting to run out of tasks that we were capable of doing. I learned how to survey… well, it was more like, I learned how to hold a prism out in the middle of the field, hoping that I didn’t get run over by a giant bulldozer, while someone else punched buttons on a fancy calculator-ish thing that then told them the elevation. Wednesday night, there was a girls-only hula dancing night. There were 4 of us in attendance, and it was entertaining to say the least because none of us were very good at swiveling our hips.
Last night, we had health & safety inspections of our rooms. The RAs went to each room and made sure that the room was generally in clean condition and that the smoke detector worked. They they put on a surprise pizza party. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that much pizza devoured that quickly.
My roommate is leaving for the weekend and I don’t have class until 7pm Monday night, so until then, I intend to enjoy the peace and quiet. As much as I love my roommate, I’m loving the idea of a weekend without her. There is just a certain freedom you feel knowing that for 2 days, you can go hide out in your room, and it’s guaranteed that no one else will be in there. Hopefully I can manage to get all of my homework done and my desk re-organized. So, until Tuesday, have fun, and hope for MORE snow! J
Oh… and before I go… I must mention the 2008 CMC Timberline Faculty/Student 8-Ball Billiards Double-Elimination Tournament. It’s being held on November 1st and is open to all CMC-Timberline staff and students. Registration materials are located on www.mogulskiing.net/billiards

No comments:

Post a Comment