Monday, September 21, 2009

First Real Snow of the Season

This morning when I woke up and looked out my window I discovered that the ground was white. Considering that it's only mid-September, I was slightly surprised, but really did not mind. I was even more surprised when it continued to snow on and off throughout the day, and it is still snowing now. There is not really any accumulation yet, as it warmed up to the 40's today. I will post pictures in the next day or two.

I originally had the intentions of venturing to the Vail area today to return something, but about 10 minutes outside of Leadville, I decided that it was not worth it because it was a full-blown snowstorm at the time. So, instead, I spent several hours at the Leadville Public Library today. It was quite an enjoyable day and it made me wonder why I never spent more time there last year.

Another place that I've found to be an enjoyable place to spend the afternoon is the CMC Library. Yea, it involves a "trek" across campus if you live in the dorms, but it really is much nicer than studying in your dorm room. For one thing, the chances of hearing someone running down the hall yelling, are pretty slim here in the library. There are also fewer distractions in the library. As unappealing as cleaning, doing laundry, and washing dishes might seem, there are times when they seem like a great way to procrastinate. However, the view of the mountains out the window of the library, is just a tad bit distracting, as I discovered Friday afternoon. But the couches and arm chairs are nice and they even have these neat swivel tables attached to the arm chairs that work great for your laptop. The bookstore is conveniently located next door for when you need a study-break snack and there is a learning assistance center across the entry-way.

For anyone who is wondering, the library hours are:
Sunday: Noon-8pm
Monday-Thursday: 8AM-9PM
Friday: 8AM-5PM
Saturday: Noon-5PM

Discovery of the week: When a professor advises you "You should probably farmiliarize yourself with Blackboard and LexisNexis before taking the first quiz or it is probable that you will fail", you should probably take their advice. While taking my Risk Management quiz, I determined that I really was not quite sure how to use LexisNexis, and I remembered this advice only after I had started the quiz. Luckily, I figured it out after about 15 minutes. However, some of my classmates who are less awake at 8AM, might have more difficulty because the main reason I figured it out was because the professor showed us in class.

As far as other news around campus goes, the free activity nights start tomorrow (Tuesday).
Mondays & Wednesdays are free nights at the gym above the swimming pool. They have a weight lifting area, a treadmill, a "running track" (essentially the edge of the gym with taped off lanes), basketball hoops, and vollyball nets. Last year we also played soccer and dodgeball there.
Tuesdays are free Flag Football out at the new field.
Thursday and Friday nights are free swimming nights.
Saturday night there is flag football for the first hour and a half and Ultimate Frisbee for the second hour and a half.
Sunday night there is free soccer at the field.
All that is required to participate in these activities is your student ID card.

All of the 2nd year SAO classes are 1/2 over. However, several of us are taking Accounting, EMT, or some other class that extends for the entire semester. Resumes have been sent, interviews have been arranged, and internships for this winter are beginning to take shape and fall into place.

No comments:

Post a Comment