Sunday, January 3, 2010

Dew Tour Wrap-Up

I unfortunately got distracted and neglected to write about the 5th day of the Winter Dew Tour. So we shall now test my memory as to what exactly happened that day.

The day started rather early for me as I was aiming to get to Breckenridge around 9AM in order to have time to park, put my gear on, take the bus from the free parking lot to the gondola, take the gondola up to Peak 8, stash my backpack at the CMC booth, and take the chairlift up to the competition area to photograph a competition that started at 10:30. Later in the day I went back down to the CMC booth and then back up to photograph another competition. If I remember correctly, both competitions that day were slopestyle snowboarding- women's in the morning and men's in the afternoon.

Close-up of the CMC booth

My excellent bull riding skills
(there is a video at the bottom of the page of my bull riding)

Me in front of the CMC booth with my photo pass and media credentials

Far-away shot of the Colorado Mountain College booth


Me with the High Cascade Snowboard Camp marshmallow


The past two weeks I have been instructing every day at Ski Cooper. A lot of it is work, but there are also the fun moments. There are the "Never Ever" lessons where they catch on so incredibly fast that it's awfully hard to believe that they have never snowboarded and there are the lessons where the fact that they can get up and not run into anyone is amazing. In the afternoon a group of instructors usually goes out for a couple runs. One day I went out with 5 ski instructors and boy was that entertaining. I apparently hit one of the guys with my arm and I then fell down while getting off the triple chair. The next run another instructor decided he was going to practice his eyes-closed skiing. Let's just say that he should keep his eyes open when unloading from the chair. The rest of the run he did a good job of following his guide's instructions. Yesterday I spent a couple hours in the afternoon refreshing my skiing skills. All I have to say about that is "Just because you went down a green run without falling, doesn't mean you should take off for a blue run". I very much thought I might fall on my face. Lately there has also been a "Let's try out tele-marking" craze. I think I'll work on feeling comfortable on alpine skis first.


Currently I am sitting in Proving Grounds enjoying a cup of hot chocolate and their wireless internet. When classes are in session, students like to hang out here. Last year I know there were several people that would play Dominos. It's also just a nice place to hang out with friends or a way to get away from the dorms and still have the possibility of completing homework or studying.


The dorms open for the semester at 9AM Wednesday morning. My roommate and I are both moving in on Thursday since she has a out-of-state friend visiting and, as of right now, I work Wednesday.


Other than that, I haven't heard of much going on around Leadville lately.


As far as classes go for next semester, I am currently taking an online business class, a 5-credit internship, a Ski Area Seminar class, and a Ski Area Planning class. I'm think I'm also going to see if I can still get into some of the labs (they tend to fill up quickly) since I enjoyed the Snowmaking lab so much last semester. And/or I might take a couple of "general" classes that are requirements for graduation at a school that my parents are wishing I continue on to.


Well, that's all I have for now. I'll try to write about how move-in went either Thursday or Friday sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment