Friday, March 20, 2009

Who Said Park Crew Was An Easy Job?

My day started bright (and I do mean bright) and early at 10AM out on Dutch Henri. It was a beautiful, warm, sunny morning for day 2 of constructing the features for tomorrow's rail jam.



The 1st action of the day involved Curt talking us into reducing our 20-foot-gap-on to about a 5-foot-gap-on, since our competitors will not be at the X-Games level of competition (Gee! Who would have thought?).


Then Greg assigned me, Tae-ho, Neil, and Kevin to shape the quarter pipe. I'm not sure about Neil and Kevin, but I had no clue what I was doing and I'm pretty sure Tae-ho didn't know what he was doing either. Then Curt and Zac helped us out by shaping the majority of the quarterpipe in like 20 minutes with the snowcat, as opposed to the 5 hours that it probably would have taken us by hand.


After that, we started building the take-off for the down-flat-down. We eventually banned Tae-ho from helping build the take-off because his "violence" was not helping, considering that we kept having to re-set the board that we were using to shape the take-off because he would move it while "violently" packing the snow.


Most of us disappeared for awhile after that to go eat lunch.


When we came back in the afternoon, we moved the down-flat-down into it's new location. This was not nearly as simple as it might sound. We drilled holes, moved it, got it all straightened out, sent a wheel of rope down the hill on accident (gravity and a steep hill have a tendancy to pull things downhill), began to build up a base around it (at one point, the legs were probably 2 feet off of the ground), decided that trenching it would be more efficient, so we moved it out of the way, almost sent it sliding down the hill because someone incorrectly believed that it would stay where it was once we released it (again, gravity and a steep hill are to blame), started digging a crooked trench, got the rope out again to provide a guideline for making the trench straight, "fired" Tae-ho from his job of holding the bamboo pole straight up and down, the trench was dug, we moved the rail back into place, still had to build the middle up a bunch (I'm not sure trenching it gained us anything), and then we buried the upper portion of the rail while Zac located tools to straighten out where the two sections of rail connected. Once Zac returned with the tools, we were able to straighten out where the two rail sections connected. Then we buried the lower portion of the rail. Meanwhile, Jeremiah, Zac, and I put up 3 rolls of CMC fencing.


Now came the fun. The rails and boxes were all in place, the take-offs had been perfected, the quarterpipe had been shaped, and the fencing was up. Logically, the next step was to test out all of the features. I personally did not ride any of the features, but I watched other people who did and it all looked like a lot of fun. It should be even better tomorrow when all of the snow has hardened up (assuming that it gets colder than the current 45 degrees).


Hope to see everyone at the rail jam tomorrow! Oh, and make sure you bring sunscreen! I remembered to apply sunscreen to my face 3 or 4 times today, but I neglected to put it on my arms since I went outside this morning wearing long sleeves. So, now I have this really weird looking sunburn on my arms because I was wearing a T-shirt and gloves that came halfway up my arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment